- 12oz package dried chow mein noodles
- water for boiling
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil + 1 tsp salt for water
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For chicken (season overnight)
- 2-3lbs cut up chicken breasts or other desired protein
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for the marinade
- 3 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cassareep or browning sauce
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- dash of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil, to cook chicken
- 2 stalks bok choy cut into strips
- 1 cup pre-shredded or julienned carrots
- 10 Chinese long beans (bora bean)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 stems scallion, sliced
- wiri wiri or scotch bonnet pepper, optional
- Wash chicken with water and allow to soak in lemon and vinegar for 10 minutes. After the soak, wash thoroughly with water.
- Season chicken with olive oil, soy sauce, cassareep, green seasoning, and salt. Set aside.
- Prep vegetables, grated ginger, and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with salt and oil. Add chow mein noodles, cook according to package directions.
- Drain noodles in a colander, rinse immediately with cold water. Spread noodles out in an aluminum pan or long shallow pan.
- Season noodles with sesame oil, black pepper, Chinese five-spice, garlic powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Saute chicken 8-10 minutes until most liquid has evaporated, set aside when done.
- Cook vegetables in a heavy-bottom pot or wok, add soy sauce, sesame oil, water, oyster sauce, grated ginger, and pepper let simmer for 30 seconds. Add vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn heat off, add seasoned chow mein noodles to pot with vegetables, and toss in chicken. Add scallions and mix thoroughly. Adjust salt to taste.